Finney Law Office, LLC
I broke some pretty serious news to my wife right near our 1st wedding anniversary. She was pregnant with our first child. She was finally feeling well enough to go out. At that dinner, I told her I was quitting my job and didn’t know if I would have another job. I had talked with my dad about coming on with him but he told me there were no guarantees. He told me I would always have a space to work but “you eat what you kill”. It was either stay where I was and find a way to be content or see what I could make of it with my dad and brother.
I knew I wasn’t happy at my current job though it was a great opportunity—I was representing insurance companies but trying to tell myself I was helping individuals. I was only helping myself. The job almost doubled my previous salary and gave me benefits I only dreamed about (a secretary and an expense account). It took a lot of pressure off of my monthly student loan payment. I quit. I went to the basement of my dad’s office—no windows, not even fluorescent lighting. My dad hooked me up with a computer and said “I can pay you for a little while but I don’t know for how long.” That was all the assurance I needed.
At that point, I didn’t care if I never got paid. I figured there was a way to make it. So I jumped in. I put up my own site (it failed miserably). I tried hustling tickets. I tried criminal defense cases and worker’s compensation. I took more small claims cases to trial than anyone I knew (I also found out there is a limit on how many small claims cases you can file).
My first settlement was a $20,000 case from a client way down in Doniphan, MO. My next one was a $1.25 million dollar case that jump started it for me. A truck driver was way over hours, omitted log times, and was on his phone at the time he rammed my client from behind in a construction zone. My client ended up dying several months after the settlement—his end stage renal disease got him. He was a super nice guy who died happy. When I got to the funeral, I saw his wife. She had brand new teeth. She flashed me a huge smile.
There have been plenty of $500 cases littered throughout where we lost money. I have lost trials for clients that I knew we should win and I have won 8 figure judgments for clients. It has been up and down but authentic the entire time. And I have been given access to plenty of mentors who have provided lots of encouragement, including my dad and brother.
Since coming on with my dad and brother, we have helped all kinds of people. Immigrants from Africa, Mexico, Bosnia, etc…. We have helped wealthy people and poor people. We have helped people whose loved ones’ hearts will never beat again to people with sore backs. All of them have needed assistance and we are lucky enough to be able to provide it. Our staff has grown and includes the most capable, efficient and friendly people we could have. We are proud of what we do for the individuals and families that come to us.
Without a doubt, I know we can help you—by pointing you in the right direction or even by sending you to another lawyer. Our mission is to make sure you get Justice. Whatever that means in your case, our goal is to help you find it.
Our office has been open for 35+ years. We have cases where we are up against 10 or more lawyers on the other side. But we only take cases we believe in and help clients we believe in. We have no regrets about the people we help.
If you are interested to see if we can help you, please let us know. We are grateful for every opportunity to help someone in need.
Areas of Practice
Awards and Honors
- 2015 – Up & Coming Lawyer | Missouri Lawyers Weekly – (Chosen as 1 of 56 attorneys that have demonstrated excellence and their potential to make a difference in the legal profession and their communities. The award recognizes lawyers who are 40 or younger, or within 10 years of practice)
- 2015 – Rising Star | SuperLawyers
- 2015 – Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum Member – Membership is limited to attorneys who have won million and multi-million dollar verdicts, awards and settlements. Fewer than 1% of US lawyers are members.
- 2015 – Nation’s Top One Percent | NADC
- 2014 – Rising Star | SuperLawyers (only 2.5% of Missouri attorneys have membership)
- 2014 – AVVO Client’s Choice Award | AVVO (this recognition is bestowed upon attorneys who have received at least fifteen 4-star reviews)
- 2014 – Best Attorneys of America | Rue Ratings (only 100 attorneys from each state are inducted)
- 2013 – Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- 2010 – Daniel J. Hensler Award in Trial Advocacy | St. Louis University School of Law
Professional Associations and Memberships
Past Employment Positions
- Worked previously at a large insurance defense firm after the Circuit Attorney’s, interned at the National Sports Agency