Deatrick Law Firm
Please Call : 502-693-7510
Sherry R. Deatrick, Attorney at Law
Professional Certifications: Member of Kentucky Bar Association, licensed to practice law in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Kentucky and the U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
A native of New Albany, Indiana, I received a B.A. in Psychology, magna cum laude, from the University of Louisville. For a time, I lived in New York City, where I worked at the Brooklyn Legal Services office and an insurance defense law firm while attending graduate school. .
When I returned home in 1992, I enrolled in the evening program at the University of Louisville and supported myself by working a full-time job. In my first year, I earned the Marilyn Meredith Memorial Award for top female student. I was a member of the Journal of Family Law, for which I wrote an article analyzing the constitutionality of the Freedom of Access to Clinic Entrances Act
As a litigation associate at Dinsmore & Shohl, LLP, I focused on hospital defense, medical malpractice, and product liability litigation. I was offered a position as in-house counsel to HealthWatch Technologies, which developed advanced fraud detection software and assisted state Medicaid agencies in recovering misspent funds.
This work led to a career in state government, where I served as General Counsel for the Cabinet for Workforce Development under Governor Paul Patton. As General Counsel, some of my duties involved:
- Policy advisor to the Cabinet secretary and department commissioners
- Negotiating audit resolutions at federal and state levels
- Litigating and advising on personnel appeals and EEOC complaints filed by state employees
- Drafting executive orders and legislationTestifying on behalf of the Cabinet before legislative committees
- Meeting with the Governor's General Counsel and advisors
- Serving as the Cabinet’s Executive Branch Ethics Officer.
For several years, I maintained a general law practice in Richmond, KY, where I handled mainly family law matters, social security disability appeals and criminal cases. Louisville lured me home once again, and I was hired as a Special Projects Manager at Tichenor & Associates, LLP, in Middletown. Representative projects I managed:
- Executive Office of U.S. Trustees: Served as the project manager on Tichenor's contracts with the U.S. Department of Justice to perform thousands of bankruptcy debtor audits in over 30 judicial districts. These audits were performed in accordance with Bankruptcy Debtor Audit Standards. I designed the audit program and administrative procedures, provided CPE training to auditors, supervised auditors and clerical personnel. Served as contact person with the U.S. Department of Justice.
- U.S. Department of Labor: Project manager on Tichenor's contract to provide Workforce Investment Act financial and accounting training to federal, state, and local finance personnel on behalf of the U.S. Department of Labor. Negotiated contracts with subcontractors, developed requests for proposals for web-based training project.
I am focusing my current practice on helping consumers who, through no fault of their own, are having financial trouble.
Please Call : 502-693-7510